The Trustees and I have received many emails and phone calls regarding safety concerns at the new bus stops located on the Franklin Street Extension (Road F). These concerns have been shared with both the NYS Thruway Authority and NYS Department of Transportation Officials.
The past two mornings, Trustee McCue and I spent time at the bus stops so that we can experience firsthand what our early morning commuters are facing.
In response to our urgent request for needed safety improvements, Michael Schaefer, Project Director Lower Hudson Transit Link and George Paschalis, Thruway’s Deputy Project Director for Outreach, have reported to me that the following safety measures will be implemented in the very near future:
- A pedestrian activated crosswalk signal will be installed on Road F in order to assist with safe crossing at this mid-block location.
will be installed inside each of the bus stops (with further review
after sidewalk work at the Clinton Avenue/Franklin Street intersection
is completed ).
- “Yield to Pedestrians” and “No turn on red” signage will be installed at the southeast corner of Clinton Avenue and South Franklin Street.
- “Merging Traffic” signage will be installed on Route 9W North approaching Interchange 10.
- Re-striping the center line on Hillside Avenue to give buses more room to turn onto Road F.
- Increased street lighting will be installed at the Hillside Avenue/Road F intersection.
- Existing street lights at the Clinton Avenue/Franklin Street intersection will be updated.
In addition, I have asked our Police Chief to have a Police Officer present during peak commuting times.
We thank you for your invaluable feed back and will continue to monitor this situation and make adjustments as needed. Public safety is our priority and we hope the improvements mentioned above will assist in achieving this.
Thank you and enjoy your weekend,